Bug Out Bag - Forgotten items

Some of these really make sense. I want to try #6 as a fire starter as described.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

These are some great suggestions.

I would make another one, though, instead of antibiotics. As noted in the article, they have a shelf life and require a prescription which some docs might be reluctant to do for a "just in case" situation. But I agree, every first aid kit should have something to deal with infections. My suggestion is a bottle of Oregon Grape Root tincture. Works topically or internally and lasts much, much longer. No script required.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Neosporin as an external antibiotic to prevent infection from minor cuts. It's a good thing to keep around.

Be sure you have ibuprofen, because in an emergency you may need to continue working through the pain after an injury. Ibuprofen can also reduce inflammation. Hikers have been known to call it "vitamin I" because it lets them continue to hike after their legs become sore from overuse.

Leukotape P is a non-elastic tape that is perfect for putting on your feet to prevent blisters or treat minor ones. It is very sticky, and once you put it on, you can usually leave it on for a week. It won't come off in the shower. It's much better than band-aids for preventing foot abrasion injuries. Once you actually develop a blister, you will need something Blist-O-Bans that protects it. You can also put a clean bandage over the blister and then wrap it with Leukotape to keep the bandage on.

Wet wipes are the single emergency item that gives me the most trouble. They dry out when not used for several years, even when they come in a sealed hard plastic container. I recommend rotating them frequently.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

There are some really good ideas in that article.

We used Neosporin for years before we discovered the antibiotic salve in this Amazon listing. Worked as good or better and ends up being cheaper than Neosporin in the long run. One cans lasted me many years.

https://www.amazon.com/Antiseptic-Salve-4-5-WT-Rawleigh/dp/B07ZHKRLR8/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=watkins+petro-carbo+salve&qid=1646093590&sr=8-9

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Have usually carried "bug-out" items in my car. I have recently decided to update and revamp my bug-out items and actually get a carriable bag to put it in.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also consider thinking of a "bug-in" bag. This is the one that helps you get home when an emergency occurs suddenly while you are away from home.

What would you need to get you home from your workplace if you had to walk, not drive or take a bus or train? What if your job took you farther away from home on a business trip when an emergency caused fuel shortages, or lack of electricity prevented gas pumps from running?

What would you need if you were visiting friends or relatives out of state when an emergency shut down air travel, or gas for your car was not available?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@RustBeltCowgirl I'm moving this over to the Emergency Equipment section.

Lots of valuable items we might need in several different emergency scenarios.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey Fine by me. If I find anything in a similar vein, I will post it to that category.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

My niece makes her own wet wipes. I will get her recipe for them.

Great info here!~