Pacifica, Check in here!

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
edited November 2023 in Pacifica

We, as members of the The Grow Network community, would like to give you a hearty welcome!

We put this list of questions together to help us get to know you better and to help you connect better with other members. Sharing your general location will help us understand what region you call home, and can help us give you more specific advice if needed. I also hope this can spark some new, local, in-person connections as well. (The remainder of the questions to follow are optional.)

a) What general region are you from? Do you know your growing zone?

b) How did you hear about The Grow Network?

c) Why did you decide to join TGN? For example, were you just browsing, hear about it from a friend, or did you sign up for any of our courses*?https://academy.thegrownetwork.com/

*If you are taking courses, you can ask questions and/or comment on them here:  https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/educational-opportunities. Please let us know your experience with your course(s) & let us know how can we encourage you!

d) What do you wish to learn from TGN and its members? How do you feel we can we best serve you and meet your needs?

e) Growing your own _____ is a journey of discovery & personal accomplishment.What goals do you want to accomplish within the next month? The next year?

f) Where does your knowledge/expertise/passion/skills lie with regards to growing your own food or growing your own medicine?

g) What else would you like to share with us (job, hobbies, animals, etc.)? A friendly reminder: please don't post any identifying information. It will get removed.

h) This is the extra fun part... jump in and browse our forum. We invite you to ask questions in the various categories that interest you, as well as share your knowledge! We love to learn together in our community. Your input is valuable.

Enjoy being a part of our vibrant community! 😀

** If you want to discuss region specific topics, feel free to post a new discussion in a new thread in "Pacifica".

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Thanks @LaurieLovesLearning , I may as well kick this off. Hi and welcome to TGN, especially if you're new to this forum. Home for me is the Coffs Coast hinterland NSW. THe best of both worlds, live in the bush but only 25 mins to the ocean. Great climate too. I'm into being self sufficient, love my veggie garden, cooking, keeping healthy, hiking, mountain bikes, horse riding etc. Lucky enough to be retired and enjoying life. How about others from the Pacifica region, touch base, introduce yourself and say g'day, kia ora, bula, talofa or hello!

• Elizabeth Voss
    Elizabeth Voss Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Hi @jodienancarrow I'm down in the cold (18 today) Melbourne area, about 1/2 an hour from the Dandenong - a house with enough front and backyard to experimanet with gardens but too many possums to do any traditinal ground gardens.

I lived in New York City til I moved here in 2010 and always wanted to gadren. I had so many gorgeous plants in my apartment - but no green thumb here - learning everything anew.

Took a permaculture class 2019 so underatnd sun mapping and created one large keyhole garden with my own soil from hot composting. seedlings sprouting now (my first ever!) so I am a fledging at 55 and even though I am going to school to practice environmental health - I have time to learn gardenign everyday - but too many books and too little going out in my yards and just getting into it - a little intimidated! love books and learning and a little jog every now and then - learning to get out of my head with my garden. One idea: Have this old bathtub and thinking - another garden? with mushroom growing underneath? a frog pond for the front yard? (which has a 2 meter high brick fence so we are private). Nice to know a"neighbour"!

• JodieDownUnder

@Elizabeth Voss hi there and welcome to the forum. There don’t seem to be too many aussies on the forum atm but I do enjoy conversing with liked minded souls all over the planet. I’m sure you’ll enjoy and learn on this journey.

We have a netted veggie garden to stop the possums, bandicoots and birds. It works extremely well, maybe something to consider. It is very rewarding to be self sufficient, knowing what you put in your body is healthy and chemical free. There will always be failures, learn from them and move on. I have and will continue to do so. Just get out there and have a crack, you’ll be pleased you did.

How did you get on with the lockdown? Hope it wasn’t to stressful. All the very best.

• ranjini.tissera
    ranjini.tissera Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

@Elizabeth Voss

I think I can be considered a neighbour. I migrated in 1999, and now live about half an hour from Dandenong ranges. Love gardening and doing things in the nature, although do not have much time as I am still working fulltime (in my late sixties but in god health). I am really interested to know more about what you said, "going to school to practice environmental health ". Would love to join along with my husband any community or class in the area where we can learn and engage in environmental friendly ways of doing things.

Hope you are enjoying the current sunny spell

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@ranjini.tissera Welcome to TGN's forum. Nice to have another voice from "down under".

• JodieDownUnder

@ranjini.tissera hello and a big warm welcome to TGN forum. I was down in Victoria last year, just before the 1st big Covid lockdown. Didn’t get over to your area but got to see a bit of the state I hadn’t seen before. Daylesford and surrounding area, great ocean road and even got to the MCG to watch the women’s T20 cricket final on international women’s day!

You will really enjoy being a part of this forum, safe, friendly and very informative. Have you checked out any landcare groups where you live? They are a great starting point, to be involved with like minded people. Again welcome, warm regards Jodie

• ranjini.tissera
    ranjini.tissera Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow Thanks Jodie. I hope you liked Daylesford. One of my favourite day trips. Dandenong ranges are really worth exploring. Maybe your next trip down under. I will certainly check the landcare groups. Haven't heard of that before LOL.

Look forward to being a part of the forum

• petalberries
    petalberries Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I'm in Melbourne enjoying the changing weather.

I love gardening and being in nature but have become detached from it by work and responsibilities.

Working on getting back into the world.

I'm curious about ways of increasing productivity and becoming more self sufficient.

Creating a space that works but is beautiful. I have been reading a lot about permaculture as well.

We too are dealing with endless possums, brush tailed and ring tailed, cockatoos, lorikeets, rosellas, univited native and imported rodents and even fruit bats scaring the heck out of us at night.

The lockdowns were horrible.

I fear the psychological bubble that's about to burst down here.

You can tell from the driving........

I have really enjoyed the webinars and am excited by what we can do if we unplug from the internet and just focus on whats around us.

And learning from others.

:)

• Riles
    Riles Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Hi, I live on the NSW far south coast near Merimbula in the Bega Valley. I am on a small farm and reside around 5km from the coast. One of the most pristine areas you could find with coastal influence resulting in a beautiful climate in general. I love gardening and I am currently expanding and improving my gardens and systems. I have one major problem though, and that is keeping the Kikuyu grasses from invading the vegie patch.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Welcome @Riles! Maybe @JodieDownUnder will have some tips for you.

• Torey

Hi @Riles. Welcome to TGN's forun.

• JodieDownUnder

@Riles hey there & a big warm welcome to TGN. I live on the Mid North Coast in the Orara Valley, just west of Coffs Harbour. How you coping with the big wet? We dodged a bullet last week, got plenty of rain but not like Lismore, Ballina etc, so I’m very grateful.

I’ve not had a lot to do with the South Coast but hoping to get down there in the near future, I have friends at Dignams Creek that I’ve been promising to visit but from what I know, you’re in a top spot.

Kikuyu is a hard grass to control in these wet summer conditions, as you would be aware it goes crazy. I’m assuming you don’t want to use chemicals, with your veg garden so close. So it’s good old hard work with a spade. Maybe whipper snip 1st to get the bulk down & then cut with a spade to keep it from encroaching on the garden. Once you get it under control, then it wouldn’t be a big job to keep it sorted. Good luck & I hope you enjoy getting involved with this group of wonder like minded people from all over the globe.

• craftycat72
    craftycat72 Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Hello Pacifica,

I'm Liz from Gippsland Victoria, the best place with mountains one side, beach the other, loads of Bushland and a couple of big towns on each side of me. Great to e-meet you all.

I live in a lovely town here, where people place excess food out the front for others to take. There are also a few food gardens on the nature strips with signs saying free to take. I am in a lovely generous sharing town where we look after each other.

I see my area is in USDA Zone 10a, some places nearby are 9.

I'm currently renting, so have bought some nice big organic apple farm boxes (3 foot square, 2.5 foot deep) to make into veggie gardens! I will be using a trolley jack if I move and keep my soil for once!

I have had thriving veggie patches in the past.

I'm branching out into potted fruit trees and finding it a little difficult. I have 2 blueberry and 2 blackberry trees in pots .....killed one lemon tree.....ouch but last one might be surviving......so not too productive with fruit trees!

Enjoying some education on this network......how exciting!!

• Torey

Welcome to TGN's forum @craftycat72. Sounds like you live in an amazing area.

• Carol
    Carol Posts: 1

Hello, I've just found my way here today.

I live way up north in the tropics of north Queensland. I'm near Ingham, in a tiny rural village to the south. My home is nestled between the Great Barrier Reef, off the coast to the east, and the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area in the Paluma Range to the west.

My climate is Tropical Monsoon. At the moment it is very wet as the monsoon trough has been descending upon us on and off over the last week or so, and is forecast to continue for yet another week. Cloudy skies reduce the oppressive heat to a pleasant level, so I never mind the rain.

As I age I have been developing my garden towards perennial food plants over several years, so that I can continue to enjoy the bounty from the garden as my mobility and energy declines. I have a fenced vegetable patch that was here when we purchased the place nearly 20 years ago. The fences prove useful as trellises, it also means that should I decide to ever run poultry again I can close it off from those little hungry mouths. In the intervening years I have planted additional citrus and a few tropical fruits. I also grow some tropical herbs and spices. My growing season is all year, simply swapping out conventional vegetables for tropical ones during the hot, humid, and very wet summer.

Most of my plants are in the ground as I find this easier to look after, but I have a small potted cinnamon, and a fig destined for a tub to contain its invasive root system, plus a small mango that at this stage will be potted on to a large tub. I have allspice, elderberry, jaboticaba and achacha currently planted in what is designated as my spice garden. Lots of gingers, tumeric, cardamon, pandan, etc planned to go in there. These are currently either in pots or other parts of the garden.

I'm looking forward to meeting other gardeners here and am currently learning to navigate my way around this network.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Welcome to the TGN forum, Carol! Thank you for the great introduction. Currently, we are at -32°C with a windchill of -42. I grow as houseplants those types of plants you grow outdoors! Haha

When @JodieDownUnder is able to check in, I'm sure you will be able to swap ideas about specific plants & methods that work in your area.

In the meantime, enjoy your exploration here. Don't be afraid to pop into any conversation. It is good to have you here.

• Torey

Hi Carol, Welcome aboard.

Like @LaurieLovesLearning I'm in a deep freeze at the moment, although not quite as cold. Only -29C here this morning in Central BC, Canada. And no wind chill.

I look forward to hearing more about your garden.

• JodieDownUnder

@Carol welcome to TGN you’ll find this site full of knowledgeable, friendly people. I am an Aussie, living near Coffs Harbour NSW. I have family in Townsville, up near you. I’m just about to head off on a Middle East adventure but when I get back we can swap notes on the forum. Take care.

• Tanya L
    Tanya L Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

While I've been commenting on this site for a few years, I haven't yet introduced myself. I live in Victoria, not too far from Melbourne. I have a few fruit trees, a small vege patch that I wish were a lot bigger, and a tightly packed flower garden. Jerusalem artichokes have pride of place in my vege patch every year and this year I am trying for the first time oca yams and again Jerry Coleby-Williams' (from Gardening Australia) favourite: mangelwurzel. Plus warrigal greens/New Zealand spinach. But I will probably replace these last 3 with something else next summer. I grow a number of culinary herbs, but I fail to use them as much as I should. I am keenly interested in herbal remedies.

The bane of my life is seed-raising. I bought a heat mat last year and it hasn't made much difference to my seed-raising abilities. I don't like to leave appliances running when I'm not keeping an eye on them, which probably doesn't help. Yeh, I know, the fridge runs all night. Maybe I need a grow lamp as well. And yet I can strike cuttings with a good success rate, which would intimidate a lot of other amateur gardeners. Plus all the peach trees, pumpkins and tomatoes that come up without any help from me, courtesy of the compost. I need to get seed raising dialed-in before certain forces wipe out the food supply and leave us with nothing but GMO.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Tanya L It's good to meet you! Everyone has their exceptional talent. It sounds like you've discovered yours!

I think you will master seed raising too. Keep working at it!