European sheep and goat breeds
It was a very happy time backpacking Europe in what seems like a lifetime ago.
I recall walking a lot of mountain and coastal paths in both Italy and Greece, especially some of the Greek Islands
I noticed homeowners moving small mobs of sheep and goats around during the day to move them to new fodder and under shade.
I cant find what species they might be.
There is a lack of that sort of book in my local libraries and online searching isn't quite there.
Does anyone know what species/variety they are likely to be?
I'd like to organize myself to buy some sheep and goats and have a go at making that amazing cheese the locals made and ate at every meal.
I recall that fizzing on the tongue, creamy yoghurt they sold in pottery bowls.
I recall huge pots of whey being poured out into the hunting dog's drinking bowls which were devoured with gusto.
Their horror when I "wasted" a perfectly good wheel of cheese when I used it as ricotta in a pastry recipe I cooked.
I did pay for it but they saw that as a waste.
They loved the recipe i made, but each batch of cheese was carefully salted and placed in a barrel of brine to mature with the others.
No doubt an extravagance when a bad season could make them go hungry.
I'm feeling homesick for my backpacking trip.
I can't see myself going back at the minute, but I would love to live it here in Australia if I could find the goats and sheep I saw and remember.
I even watched how to spin the wool and weave scratchy carrying bags, bed covers and floor mats......
Homesick I tell you.
Thank you for reading.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 28 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter