I'm Doing the 30-Day Milky Oats Challenge! (My Results So Far)

2»

Comments

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I totally want to grow oats now! I see wild river oats all the time- i wonder if they would have a "milky" phase too. Hmmmm....???

• elwell2
    elwell2 Posts: 13

I am intrigued by the whole concept. I am going to do further research about adding this to my diet.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I really like having oatmeal for breakfast and I was wondering do you still get some of these same benefits from rolled oats as you do from the milky tops?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I'm going to leave a link here to the benefits of all things oat. Oatmeal, oatstraw, milky oats. From Rosalee de la Foret, she spells it out for all preparations of oats.

• tinarock
    tinarock Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Infusion and tea are basically the same thing, you are extracting the herb's properties into hot water. With tea you are using less herb and spending less time; with infusion you are using 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce of the dried herb and letting it brew in 1 quart of just-boiled water for 4 to 8 hours.

• tinarock
    tinarock Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

@torey I am in central NJ which is Zone 6.

• Donn
    Donn Posts: 2

So, I want to hear how people are doing AFTER they are done the challenge. Once you stop taking the oat drink daily, how is your sleep and energy level affected? Unless one can grow the oats, it seems prohibitively pricey to continue this routine indefinitely.

I am drinking my first jar as I write this, so I probably won't see any results for a few days or so.

• Scott Sexton
    Scott Sexton Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

@burekcrew86 Milky oats are generally a very safe plant. Once you get enough, your body will let you know it's reserves are full and you can take a break for a while. The easiest and most common way to tell is that you will find them harder and harder to drink. The thought of drinking them will cause a sensation of fullness, or be extremely unappetizing, or may even cause mild nausea (assuming you didn't dislike the flavor to begin with). This is your body saying that it has all it needs and can't hold anymore. If you are particularly in tune, you may just get a sense of "doneness" about it.

• Scott Sexton

@COWLOVINGIRL My understanding is that a part of what makes milky oats work is their mineral composition. This is retained in rolled oats. But a part of the effect comes from the phytochemicals present in the milky stage. These would largely be lost. However, plants are weird and once you start getting energetics involved, they get even weirder (in the best way possible). Long story short, I think you would still get some benefit (plus a lot more calories), but the effect wouldn't be as broad and full.

• Scott Sexton

@Donn I'm about 2 weeks out after completing the challenge. I still feel as cool as a cucumber (maybe not at the peak relaxed levels as when I was actively using the oats), and I've still been losing weight (a bit slower). I'm still falling asleep like turning off a light switch (disclaimer - that's how I usually fall asleep), and I'm spontaneously waking up about 30 minutes before my alarm - fully alert and eager for the day.

That's actually something I didn't mention to people before. I seem to need less sleep. I'm not trying to get less sleep. I'm just done - like I'm recharging faster.

If I were to give it a number, I'd say I still feel around 75% of the effects, give or take. If I were making a prediction, based on my own experience, I'd expect that I would want to refresh myself with another round of oats after another month or so.

I've also planted a plot of oats near my house. I'm filming the process to share once it's all done.

• Kuri and Kona
    Kuri and Kona Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I bought some organic oat seed today, and I can`t wait to get started planting my own!

• Kuri and Kona

So, I feel like I am constantly writing about rainy season on this site, but my local area has a month of rain in June. I am wondering would it be okay to get the oat planted this week in the ground, knowing that in two months it would be pelted with water in June (every day for a month)? Or, should I try raise the oats in containers?

• farmboy
    farmboy Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

I am on only my second day of the milky oat 30 day challenge...dividing doses throughout the day...so far noticing increased energy and sleeping better with some vivid dreams...will definitely be continuing !

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I would say to plant it in containers. If we get too much rain here in crop country, it doesn't take long for the plants to drown out, and to get it to the milky oat stage, it has to be harvested just before it begins to turn hard. That is a small window.

Your oats will take 7-10 weeks to get to the milky stage (we are going on what farmers expect here, and that depends on the weather), so if you plant now, you might just get it before your heavy rains start. Do you understand what the milky stage is?

Here in Zone 3, we plant mid May and mid July is when our milky stage may appear.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

That is really interesting! Keep us updated as to what else you notice as you get further into the challenge.

I would like to invite you to leave a short introduction here:

https://community.thegrownetwork.com/categories/introductions

Perhaps it will gelp you to be able to connect & network with others near you. 😄

If ever find that you need any technical help, you might be able to find the answers that you are looking for by checking our FAQ, which are found at the Our Front Porch category. You will find tutorials there as well.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Jimerson for your method, I will have to try it.

• Kuri and Kona

@LaurieLovesLearning Thank you for your advice. Perhaps I will get some harvested before rainy season, but if I want to keep up a supply, I will probably have to do succession planting. I have read guidelines on the milky oats stage, although I am not terribly confident if I will discern it or not. I am also going to be in the States for a month in August, so the person looking after my garden during that time would probably not want to mess with milky oats. I will need to think about this.

• Lisa K
    edited April 2022

@Merin Porter I am a "YES" on TGN supplying the Milky Oat tops and thanks for the suggestion to add Equisetum hyemale (this will be my second 10 day round) and thanks for suggesting Biodynamic Botanical they are cheaper than MRH plus on sale which makes them even lower. Unfortunately they are Sold Out, so I am going to continue my search 😊

• Lisa K

Tomorrow will be day 30 and I think it is something I will continue to do. The first week or two I did the challenge along with not eating sugar and I definitely had more energy and on days I did eat sugar I still had energy just not as much.

I also did it differently then @Jimerson and @Merin Porter, I made my tea with my dinner and it seems to have another benefit and that is better digestion.

• Kuri and Kona

My oat plants are starting to produce oats! I don`t think it is ready for milky oats, yet. though. I squeezed it and no liquid came out. Rainy season starts in about two weeks, so here`s hoping that they are ready by about then.