Rabbits in North Central PA?

Bryn
Bryn Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where we can purchase rabbits in north central PA? We are in the wellsboro area. Looking to start some rabbits need at least one doe and one buck, preferabally babies. Any help would be great appreciated. THANK YOU!!!! :)

Tagged:

Answers

• Bryn

That was actually suppose to say 2-3 doe (couldnt figure out how to edit my post-im new) THANKS again for anyone who might know.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

@Bryn You definitely need two or three does. I usually have two ready to have kids at a time, just in case the one mother rejects the kids the other can help or if one has too many the other one will help out (usually)

Check Tractor Supply bulletin board, your extension office (4-H) or any feed store. They will know who has rabbits available. You should also be able to use Pennswoods (rennig) in your area. It serves all of Pa. I live west of you about 2 hours.

What type or breed of rabbits are you looking for?

And welcome to TGN. When you have time introduce yourself. I know there are several people that live in Pennsylvania here in the group. There is also a rules and regulation area and the Discord chat area.

Have a great night and good luck in the rabbit hunt, Denise

• Bryn

Hey Thanks Denise.

I HATE computers and technology so i dont think i will be on here too much as it just takes too much time to learn how to use the functions etc. I really apprecate your help.

Have no clue what Pennswoods is. Dont have any preference on rabbit type. Husband is looking for them, the chickens are mine, he wants rabbits (as he cant stand chickens LOL). Where are you located? We moved from Coudersport a few years ago. Thanks again for the info, I will ask again at TSC (they couldnt help me last time I inquired before--they used to have decent customer service pre covid- no longer, sad).

Thanks again for the advice :)

• Monek Marie

Hi @Bryn If you raising for meat I like california white or harlequin. (love harlequins for their personality and fur). Rex is a recommended meat breed too. The TGN academy has a class on raising rabbits that is good.

My one way I select rabbits are for their personalities. Some are more high strung and stress easy and I shy away from those breeds.

Pennswoods is an online classified site for Pennsylvania.I use it for livestock and car purchases ;)

I am neat Warren Pa. (or Erie Pa) way up at the top of Pa. And my one side of the family was originally from Coudersport so I know the area.

• Bryn

Wow!!! That GREAT information, THANK YOU!!!! Im going to have to look for harlequins forsure. I already enrolled in the rabbit class, it IS great, im enjoying it.

🤗Thanks for the heads up on the Pennswoods, im not origianlly from PA, so i still have much to learn about it. We are way up north too, almost in NY. If you happen to hear of any harlequins for sale around please let me know. We would happily drive (within reason) to pick them up.

• Monek Marie

Actually I do know of harlequins for sale. The lady has great rabbits. Let me contact her to seel what she has available. It would be a 2 or 3 hour trip but if you come early this area has a lot to see and you could have a great day or weekend adventure before you purchased rabbits.

And later I will send you a private message with the link to pennswoods. Its a great place to get homestead supplies and more. Denise

• Bryn

Denise thank you, you ROCK!!! So appreciate your help. :) Bryn

• Monek Marie
  • Bryn

OMG!!! So cute! Is this one of your harlequins? Thanks for sharing!

• Monek Marie

This is one of the ladies who sell rabbits. I downsized all my animals last year so I don't have harlequin right now but possible might have them again this fall. But this is the lady I get them from. She and her daughter hold them all the time so they are tame. I prefer rabbits that are easy to handle.

• Monek Marie

I sent this link in a message too @Bryn but I will post it here too

https://classifieds.rennug.com/classifieds/index.cgi

• Bryn

i agree with you about rabbit that are easy to handle. I used to have to babysit my best friends rabbit when I was in elementary school. That rabbit was AWFUL!!!! Used to scratch everyone! Dont want ones like that forsure. Thanks for the referral, we will look into it asap! My brother has had rabbit for pets most of his life as well. His rabbits were always very loving and tame, they were fixed though. Thanks again for all your help. REALLY appreciate it!