If your life were a blank slate, What would you do?

If your life were a blank slate, What would you do?

Mine is kindof that way right now. I know there are things I want to continue on with and goals I want to reach but everything is up in the air. The next 6 months will help me to determine what direction(s) I may go. And as confusing as it is there is also a sense of peace - the first time in so long that I can make choices just for me.

So if your life were somewhat this way would you take new chances, travel, move?

Tagged:

Comments

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a thought provoking question. So many of the goals and plans that I have now have everything to do with all the people that are my responsibility.

I think that if my life was a blank slate I would choose to not live in the city that's for sure. I'm stuck here for now because of circumstances out of my control. I also think that I would want to have some sort of charitable organization to run. I would imagine it would have something to do with helping people learn to be self sufficient or providing food security. It would take a lot of time and thought to decide details.

@Monek Marie I wish you the best of luck in finding your new direction.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

My sister-in-law and her daughter and family are moving to southern France from California. My sister-in-law is 81. It all seems a bit daunting to me. Talk about a new direction.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

It depends. To do the things I'd like, money would have to be available, so this kind of goes into a dream wish list.

I'd move first of all. Either to an area we've been eyeing for a while (where we feel we have community), or the Black Hills of SD. It's so beautiful and the air is so clean there.

Although, knowing I'd have a comfortable community trumps somewhere that I would be unsure if I'd have the same feeling of welcoming community. As I get older and have lived in a place for so many years where there is very little of this (friendly & welcoming community & clean air), I know how important that is to happiness & contentment. It is basic, really.

Ideally, I would want a well designed home place (so, pleasant & easy care), including a log home (even just a cabin) set up in the country, complete with adequate gardens & a variety of fruit bearing trees & shrubs, but especially unique heritage farm animals (my wish list ones), many beautiful trees, and a view overlooking a beautiful valley...and friendly, like-minded neighbors a reasonable distance away. Not too close, yet not too far. I would need someone dependable and knowledgeable to help me care for it all while I was off traveling the world. I've always wanted to travel.

Then I would come back and enjoy being cozy at home and loving my place. When I was completely done traveling, I'd want to want to stay there.

Perhaps when I travelled, I would indulge myself in taking voice classes from the Gaither School of Music like a friend of mine did when she was younger. I think that could be fun & if I was good enough, maybe I could travel & sing. I'd love to be in a quartet again. That is a dream I ache for.

I can't imagine actually having the opportunity to do any of that, but it would be interesting if I ever found myself with the opportunity to wonder what to do next.

This is a great question. Do some introspection. Try something, and be open to switch gears if you feel the pull from something else. Test the waters, learn lots & enjoy the journey. That is the most important.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning I have never been to the black hills of SD. I will have top look that area up but it sounds wonderful. And if you ever have the opportunity to take voice classes at Gaither School of Music go for it. We all deserve top treat ourselves to something in life and this sounds like a passion.

I also agree on living in an area where you are accepted. We were disliked before we moved here and it never ends, even with our family loss. Its a shame some places have to be like this.

I know I will be traveling some and getting back to art and photography. Other than that life is a new adventure, one day at a time.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Monek Marie You are always welcome here.

If you do decide to go to the Hills, let me know. I went to school down there for a year and explored through it other years & know it quite well.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I was thinking about this very thing not too long ago. I would enjoy moving somewhere else but right now all of my kids, grandkids and great grandkids live in this area.

However, I have a son who insists I have a medical (DNR) in place. I am praying about it but don't need one. I told him I am old fashioned but he is still insisting. It is something I have considered but I am just not into it.

I would love to move somewhere the air and water are clean. SD sounds like a great place. I would love to live in the country again. I loved having chickens. Also lots of garden space.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Never make any serious decisions after a loss or other major life disruption. Take some time for things to settle. Me, I'd go fishing every day and maybe take a cooking class. Think about things again in 6 months.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Monek Marie good question, made me stop & think for a bit. I believe I’m in a similar situation & have been since I retired in mid 2017. Giving back to my community is one thing that has been missing from my life. Moving to a new location & being “the newbies” is something most people go through & it can be tough. This year though is proving a time of change, I joined my local SES - State Emergency Service, mostly volunteer run, all things flood/storm /tsunami. Seem a great bunch of people, very inclusive.

I also put up my hand as a community facilitator for a local organisation to help communities become more resilient & this is where I’ve met a similar bunch of like minded people. Only early days but excited as to what this opportunity may bring.

The reason we decided on a lifestyle block, instead of a farm, was to be able to travel more easily. We now have a few different & very capable house sitters that enjoy our space, while we travel. Gotta say Covid put the brakes on travel for a bit but now things have settled down, we’re keen to explore a bit more.

The thing I’ve found challenging with more time on my hands is my head space. I’ve always been driven & it’s hard to turn on & off. I sometimes feel guilty for not getting jobs done & then I think, well its not going anywhere, it will still be there tomorrow but then that annoys me because I don’t think like that, so see what I mean! Be kind to yourself, things happen for reasons. Surround yourself with the things you love. Breathe, smile, gratitude.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could do anything I wanted ...I'd love to travel all around the US and then outside the US. We have friends who have an RV and have been all over the country. They seem to enjoy it. Not sure I'd want to do it that way but I would love to go out west and see all the sights.

I might want to study something new. There's so much I could do if I had the time and money!

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marjstratton I'd have to say that I would be doing the same thing, moving to France. Ever since finding out that my mother's side of the family, though my grandfather, came from France, I have been fascinated by that country and always wanted to go there.

My husband has even jokingly mentioned moving there a few times. But we've just moved, about 6 months ago, to our forever place. And we're going to spend the next 20 years or so doing things to it to make it how we want.😊

But @Monek Marie if things were different and life was a blank slate, I would love to be living in France where my ancestors are from. The whole laid-back culture, appreciation for good food, and the gorgeous landscape, at the very least, all appeal to me at a deep level.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I agree with @judsoncarroll4

Do you have a bucket list trip on your list? Go do that and spend time on yourself. Then reconsider your options.

• Monek Marie

I have only somewhat planned for 6 months.I need to stack up a bit more money (thankfully I have been in planning mode for a few years so I am ok). I want to do photography again and get out my art supplies and use them.

I need a different job for 6 months, two in mind and both are hiring. I al have not been able to be outdoors as much as I have wanted so I have outside whenever its not raining.

I just set up a local seed swap and have two classes to teach in the next two months. I run a seed bank hub so I will be working with that too. Those are my plans for right now.

I think the most important thing I have learned and need to keep in mind is to stay loose, grab and opportunity and try not to get too tied down. In life that is easy to do, usually because circumstances have placed you there.

@RustBeltCowgirl No bucket list. I'm winging it. Definitely more travel that may be very spur of the moment.

@kbmbillups1 I have found that a lot of people have not visited what is in their own backyard. We have two amazing tourist sites here that people travel from all over the world to see and I bet more than half the people that live here have been been to. I would love to travel the USA too. I think I have visited moire than half the states. West coast I have never been to

@JodieDownUnder I love your lifestyle block I idea. I have a plan somewhat like that I am working on.

@judsoncarroll4 and others, I am only planning for short spurts and nothing is set in stone. Its just easier that way

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I have been to France. I went as an exchange student. Its wonderful. I bet you can find a way to at least get a trip in. Be creative ;) And enjoy your new property planning.

So many great ideas and thought here for all of us.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie I live on the east coast and have been to all of those states but there is more to explore. We have never been past Tennessee or Missouri. So, we have most of the US to visit!!

I like what you said about grabbing the opportunity and trying to not get tied down.

• Monek Marie

The artistic part of my life I have not been ble to do in quite some time. Today I made paper! Tomorrow I will make more but I had to get used to creating again and it was experiment day. I hope to embed ferns and any other plant material in the paper I make tomorrow.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Monek Marie if and when I am in such a situation I think as first thing I would go on a long hike. Here in Europe it is Camino de Santiago- the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. It is about 1600 km from us. It would take a few months to walk and think. I think that walking clears the mind and brings decisions. And gives the opportunity to meet similar people - looking for their way or solutions. So far we have been hiking this path in two week slots. We have met very nice people on the way and had very interesting talks and discussions.

As @RustBeltCowgirl says - a bucket list. Why not making one.

Art can make ones life full, I believe.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I studied French in high school and really wanted to go to France to study at that time, but it never came about. I am now studying French in an online course. I find it kind of amazing that I have retained so much and that so much is coming back to me. With my Sister-in-law soon to be living there, it has again sparked my desire to visit there. Guess we'll see how things work out.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

If my life were a blank slate I would probably sell everything and walk. Just keep walking. We have had a major family tragedy and I am not going to make this decision. But i dream about it often. Just keep walking.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

@Monek Marie wow, yes, such a good question. I live a very purposeful life but some recent events have also had me questioning fundamentals I used to take for granted. Like @Cornelius I am mostly working on goals / objectives / passions that I've set for myself, and this is a great time to pause and ask if those are for sure the ones I want to pursue.

One area I am beginning to put more time to explore is "inner space": telekensis, out of body explorations, remote viewing, etc. I am absolutely fascinated by how our thoughts and intentions create the world in physical matter.

Growing food or wildcrafting will always be a part of my life. Creating the community garden just makes my heart swell so that's definitely a keeper. This community is definitely a keeper :)

• LaurieLovesLearning

@nicksamanda11 If you need to talk, chatting with me through pm is always available to you. Take good care of yourself.

Walking can be good for the mind & body to heal from anything negative that greatly impacts you...just make sure you purpose to come back. That is important, even if you don't feel like it or want to.

• wendygoerl
    wendygoerl Posts: 1 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I'd probably end up a "leather tramp." So much of what I value has become irreplaceable.

ADMIN EDIT: To keep this discussion on topic and not have it devolve into the political, the remainder of this post was removed. Thanks for understanding.

• Monek Marie

My life is still not a blank slate, moms memorial is this weekend but changes are coming along

But I am working the property here and getting it cleaned and cleared. In the fall I want to travel but it all depends on the property and what is going on.

Starting this weekend I am living in a tent in the back yard. I have things that need to be done in the house and living in a tent simplifies living in chaos what I do with my spare time. The tent is set up, I have been enjoying campfires and I even pulled out a piece of art to work on the other day. And thats amazing with the chaotic schedule I have had with mom's memorial coming up.

• Monek Marie

The camper fell through at the last moment. I am lookiong for something again.

@Monek Marie, I had been wondering how things are moving along with your plans and preparation as your next season begins.

I too have a memorial this weekend, the second in a short span of time. It has made everything more difficult with all the jumble going on in my head right now.😔

I'll say a prayer for you too this weekend, @Monek Marie.❤️

• Monek Marie

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I live day to day right now. The garden and clean project are top priorities, just to survive and be able to move ahead. Some days things go well, other days - not so much.

Thank you for the prayers. I will be very glad when this is over. And prayers to you too. My thoughts will be with you.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

I’d explore, travel, go earthing, stop and smell the roses, continue resiliency and keep on going. @Monek Marie

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Monek Marie Wow---your post put my mind in a whirlwind!!

I really enjoyed reading all of the replies and I have to say there are things I would do from a lot of people's list.

My favorite saying is "Life is what happens when you have other plans" and remember to never regret anything that made you smile!

• Monek Marie

Even when your life is a blank slate there is still work to do and some of it is painful.

It has really been a learning experience and growing experience this year. The work of trying to clean out years of memories in possessions is difficult and you fight with the memories at the same time. Overall it has been healing.

I have let life just roll and see where it has taken me. My decisions have been slow and have changed. One thing I discovered is my "almost" final decisions have all been based on things I have wanted to do and not been able to in the past due to time or obligation.

My biggest challenge, besides the land here, has been what to do for more income. How much to make to be comfortable but not get trapped. I do plan to retire the end of the year but will need extra income to make a living. My income will be in gardening and will be exciting. I cannot say much more at this time but you guys will be some of the first to know.

I just recently joined a grief share program. Its something I would have never thought of before but my eating is a mess which will lead to health issues and I am depressed. A friend who had a huge loss. talked me in to it and it was the right decision - but totally not me.

And my blank slate is yelling at me now - to go back out and mow before it rains again!~ (I am proud of myself, I have learned to start a push lawn mower! Ahhhhh, the little things in life)

@Monek Marie I'm happy to hear that you are moving forward, though not pushing yourself as you work through your grief. So very glad you joined a grief share program. My cousin and a friend from school have both lost spouses and have commented on the incredible help they've found with the program.

I am anxious to hear your plans for your income. And if you need a brief respite you're welcome to come and pitch your tent for a time on our property, change of scenery, and change of pace.