Meet my new peafowl
I have a new pair of year old peas as of yesterday!
I have wanted some peafowl for years. It still doesn't seem real that there are two here. I hope we do well by them. In captivity, if all goes well, they could outlive us. They can live in captivity up to 50 years!
This pair is split to white, so they could give us fully white peachicks eventually as well as the standard India Blue color.
The male's call will travel up to 5 miles. We will certainly have area people, dogs & wildlife baffled for a while.
They need high protien to be at their best.
The male will grow a train next year and it will be year 3 when she will lay eggs. The male's train grows longer every year. Those beautiful feathers drop every fall.
You handle them only when absolutely necessary.
We have a lot to learn, but we are all looking forward to it.
This Week's Leaders
- 603 All Categories
- 28 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 32 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 270 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 403 Current Events & Breaking News
- 24 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.2K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.3K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 464 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 30 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 423 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 341 The Homestead: DIY
- 1K Personal Journals
- 90 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter