I got two more hens. Lehman brown classic. They are molting, so I got them for free. My two other hens Amrock wanted more company. Now they have two more friends. Much bigger ones.
our hens are allowed to run free in my orchard and kitchen garden with high beds (so far they have not discovered that they can fly into high beds).
I have never thought that hens could have such different characters. One newcomer is extremely adventurous. She immediately explored our garden, then neighbors garden, popped into our house, flew on top of the coop….
the other one is soooo sweet and calm. She is following us, does not go too far from the coop.
Towards evening they all come to the big window and knock on it. I do not know whether it is us, they want, or they take reflection as other hens.
i did not expect them to start laying as they are molting. But, they seem to love the freedom. On the third day since they arrived I have already got three eggs. Big. Brown.
now I can watch the hierarchy and relationships between them. Quite entertaining!
This Week's Leaders
- 603 All Categories
- 28 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 32 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 270 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 403 Current Events & Breaking News
- 24 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.2K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.3K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 464 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 30 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 423 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 341 The Homestead: DIY
- 1K Personal Journals
- 90 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter