Ticks, a serious problem.
On our new property we have some woods and are surrounded by woods from neighboring properties. We've cleaned up and cleared out brambles and such making the close proximity of the house more open and deer stay further away. But our barn cats venture out and come in contact to where the ticks are still prevalent. And so do we if we're working around the property which happens to be more often now that we're going into the summer months.
My question is how to best protect my family from these pests so we don't get sick or worse catch Lyme disease. After working outside we always check ourselves before showering. And I buy a natural bug spray from our local natural foods store that says it helps protect against ticks. But surely there's more I can do. We're still at the beginning of the season, summer is right around the corner. There are many more months of work to be done outside.
Does anyone have any recommendations on further steps we can take to protect ourselves?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter