Vine Borer Resistant Squash

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

My zucchini all died within two weeks of beginning to produce fruit, but I also planted Tromboncino Squash this year and it is going strong. It was recommended as being resistant to borers by Southern Exposure seed catalogue, and I couldn’t be more thrilled. It needs to be trellised, but they are beautiful and the payoff is huge. I’m thrilled when something new is a success.

They weigh over two pounds each and can be left to mature as a winter squash, but the reviews on the mature squash were varied. My daughter who REFUSES to eat zucchini will eat this and a friend who tried one I gave her loved it and called to find out what it was.

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look wonderful!!!! I'm going to try them next year.

I planted my squash and cucumbers inside my greenhouse frame that I put a trellis inside of and covered with garden mesh netting. I open one side so the bees can get in and close it before dinner, so I don't forget. So far so good. Last year I realized moths were laying eggs at night that were growing into green caterpillars that were boring into every single cucumber!!

Thought I'd try squash one more time this year. I have the same problem with the vine borers. I can't wait to try those squash you're growing!!

• Megan Venturella

I’ll post updates if anything changes as the season continues. But check out the thread on Palestinian Bottle Gourd too, because NOTHING took that down last year and it is incredibly productive. Not a zucchini, but similar enough I think.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I will!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

The vine borer lays red eggs on the leaves. If you check the leaves often early in the season you can use tape to remove them.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

What an interesting looking squash. I have never been bothered by vine borers, but I supposed that could be beginner luck.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My parents had their squash plants decimated last year because of the vine borers. My mom was so frustrated, she tried so many different things but last all of her plants.😔

• Megan Venturella

I think I have red eggs everywhere 😭 I’ll have the kids go search and destroy. Thanks!

• Megan Venturella

I never had issues until I moved to the Southeast. My sister lives ten minutes away and hasn’t lost a single plant though!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella Good luck! You can use a flashlight at night on the vine to see the bug inside and then cut it out and kill it. (I personally haven't tried, but have seen other gardeners do that on YouTube).

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella That is kind of what I thought was the vine borers live in warmer, more southerly places.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone has suggestions on squash varieties that are resistant to slugs, please let me know. I can tell you that Blue Hubbard is not!

I'm interested in exploring some of Joseph Lofthouse's landraces, including his moschata butternet and maxima lines. Landraces are so interesting I'm going to create a separate thread about them.

• Megan Venturella

So, an update. We had two plants and vine borers got into each of them. I guess “resistant” doesn’t mean “impervious”. However, I was able to save one of the plants and it’s going well. The other one I only found one of two vine borers and it didn’t make it. I’m trying to be an adult about this and not pout too much! I wrapped the base of the surviving vine with aluminum foil and I’m checking every morning for signs of bugs. So much work, but so much squash it’s worth it.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that @Megan Venturella@Megan Venturella so very aggravating.😕 Glad your quick actions saved the one plant though.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I am growing tromboncino, i was told it is also called zuchetta, either way it is doing very well. Vine borers got most of my zucchini plants so far so I am grateful I stuck those trombo seeds in the ground. I probably just won't waste my energy on black beauty or yellow squash anymore. I mean this trombo is high producer, tastes great- even the rabbits love it apparently😲. Plus, it is an impressive plant to gaze upon😏.

• Megan Venturella

Isn’t it gorgeous? And I think it has such great flavor and a wonderful almost creamy texture when it’s cooked. I love it.

• Megan Venturella

I found another vine borer, but this one was still trying to make it in. I’ve found that when the sawdust-looking evidence of one appears and I go to brush that off, out comes the bug itself! Maybe that’s what it means when a variety is “resistant” to vine borers, maybe it takes them a little longer to bore through, giving me a chance to save the plant! I lost one, but my other tromboncino is still going strong and pumping out squash like nobody’s business. I am eating it, giving loads away, and dehydrating lots for winter. I made my first zucchini fritters with tromboncino and they were so delicious. It’s a great plant.

• Megan Venturella

It’s August 1st, and I think my beloved vine has succumbed at last. Time of death, 6:55 PM. It will be sadly missed by friends and family. No visitor or friend left with out a trumpet shaped squash in hand. RIP