Storage Tip for Kale, Spinach and Swiss Chard

dipat2005
dipat2005 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been planting Kiss for several years now (Kale, Spinach and Swiss Chard).

Tip: Take a One Gallon (I use Freezer Bags) Plastic Bag-add as much greens as you can stuff into the bag-then over the top on both sides use paper toweling. The bag will sweat but my greens have stayed in pretty good shape for 1 month. Once in awhile I have to take out slimy leaves or leaves that are white.

How do you store your greens for longer than 2 weeks?

Tagged:

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had good luck storing any kind of greens for longer than a few days. If I'm buying them, I don't unless I'm going to cook them that day. If they're coming from my garden, I don't pick them unless I'm going to cook them or use them in a salad.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

My method is very similar to yours @dipat2005 I use a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid. I line the bottom with paper towels and cover the top with them also before putting on the lid.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read on here about wrapping celery in moist paper towels and then in aluminum foil to make it last a couple weeks. I tried it and it works great. Do you guys think that would work with greens as well? Some time I'll have to try it.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some of the Foodsaver canisters. I put my greens inside and vacuum seal them. They last for quite awhile this way and the canisters can be resealed after you open them and remove what you need.

• dipat2005

Good to know about the glass container @Michelle D and the Foodsaver canisters@vickeym. Great ideas! @kbmbillups1 I am sorry that you cannot store any greens.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

Great tip! Thank you! I tried something similar with cucumbers this summer and it worked so well because it sealed in the moisture without getting slimy because of the paper towel.

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina
    JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too, use the gallon bags but only here recently.

For the longest time, I used the green produce bags that they demonstrated on tv forever ago. I have to order them now because I can't find them anywhere local. But they are the best thing for produce.

Everything lasts so much longer. I'd wash them and reuse them several times before they needed to be replaced with new ones.😊

• dipat2005

@JennyT Upstate South Carolina I didn't have much success with the green produce bags. @Megan Venturella great idea for cucumbers thanks for the tip!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@dipat2005 my way is similar to yours. The difference is that after I put all the greens into a plastic bag, I let air in -I move an open back quickly to get some air and then tie it tightly. the bag looks a bit like a balloon when I tie it tight. This air inside helps herbs and greens to stay longer fresh. Actually longer than a week.

• dipat2005

@jowitt.europe Yes, I should have mentioned it does look like a balloon. I do leave a bit of air space and it seems to take on more air as time goes along.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Kale and Swiss chard I dehydrate and then I add it to soups and such.

• dipat2005

@marjstratton I have made Kale chips before but I have some kind of funky winter chard that I raise in the summer. Great ideas!

• Tanya L
    Tanya L Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

I love the green produce bags. Here in Australia they were originally called 'Rob's veggie bags'. Like Jenny, I am finding them more difficult to find in stores and resent that I have to buy 6 packs of them online, which is overkill for me.

• dipat2005

@Tanya L I totally agree about the bags. It is quite interesting that the different places want us to buy so many extra of everything.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I know! Why do we need 7 or ten of this or that? Grief...

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a tendency to be one of those people that purchase the things in bulk but I have a huge family so we really use a lot of stuff.