How can I remove some iron and manganese from my water?

I would love to find a counter-top water filtration system.

I have a deep well that supplies water to my property. I would like to stop water delivery and the use of plastic containers. I'm not ready for a whole house filtration system (although I will take suggestions for one of those too) although I hope to acquire one in the future.

Best Answers

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    Answer ✓

@Leediafastje I don't have a counter-top filtration (I have an inline water softener and iron filter) but friends of mine do. They would recommend a Berkey filter system.

I assume you've had your well water tested to find the mineral content. Iron isn't harmful (unless you suffer from hemochromatosis) but it does leave nasty stains in bathroom fixtures and in laundry.

Did you mean to say that you wanted to remove manganese from your water? Magnesium is a beneficial mineral and a Berkey doesn't remove that but it will remove manganese.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin
    Answer ✓

@Leediafastje So many people buy iron and magnesium. And you get it free! We also have a lot of iron in water. Before I moved to our present home I always had problems because of lack of iron in my blood: sleepy, tired… Since I live here, all these problems disappeared and the blood tests show enough iron. I somehow did not relate this to water which we are drinking, but then, during conversations with other women I found out that I am not the only one to be cured only by drinking this water. Yes, the washing. May be there is some local filter for the washing machine?

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I have also heard a lot of good things about the Berkey water filters. I have a few friends that own them. I would love to be able to add one to my home eventually.

Answers

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@torey Thank you for responding. Yes, I have had the water tested. It shows high in Iron and Manganese (my mistake ... not Magnesium). I've heard of the Berkey water filter and it sounds like I'm going to try it.

• Leediafastje

@jowitt.europe I'm a bit hesitant to drink water that turns my sinks and cloths colors but, I do take iron (with vitamin C). I errored when I said I wanted to remove Magnesium. I should have said Manganese.

I appreciate your response and am now looking at a filtration system for my laundry. I just may have to try my water AFTER running it through a Berkey water filer.

• Leediafastje

@Michelle DThank you for letting me know reviews of the Berkey water filtration system. I am going to purchase one for my countertop. I'll be back with a review of my own in a month or so.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Leediafastje yes, manganese can be dangerous. You better filter it out.