Scale insects on indoor houseplants
I thought I had these beat on my bay laurel. I found tiny ones on it again last week. This little plant brought these fantastic creatures with it. Nothing like hitchhikers that want to party and spread the joy everywhere they go.
I've been battling these insects on my lemon tree for 3 weeks...they've been bad on it. The tree has been hanging out in the bathtub to kerp it isolated, but it can't stay there forever.
Just now, I finally took off many of the frost damaged leaves from an avocado that I saved from my sister last spring. Guess what I found? (You guessed it!) One of the insects was quite large too. I thought I'd been checking closely enough. I guess I hadn't. I think I found a couple aphids too, but only 2. I squished those. My avocado only has a bit of young new growth left on it now. I was pretty thorough taking those damaged leaves off. It looks very naked but I'm hoping it forces new branches to form.
There could be more scale insects that I missed on other plants. I can't be putting Safers Soap on all of my plants every week. Some would be impossible to do. First of all, it gets expensive. Secondly, it's a pain...so is going over all parts of each plant to lift the insects up and dispose of them. 😡 It's far from enjoyable.
Does anyone have any suggestions, hopefully before it spreads to more plants? Does anything eat these nasty things (if so, where to buy)?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 28 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter