Growing Elderberries

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2023 in Fruit

Has anyone grown elderberries from cuttings? I purchased varieties and I am looking for the best way to plant them for maximum yield.

Are they like blueberries? Is it best to get different varieties planted next to each other, different blueberry varieties grow at different time so you can maximize your yield.

Or are they like some other fruits that produce more yields if you plant the same varieties next to each other. 

Tagged:

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Lisa K yes you can grow elderberries from cuttings. Ideally they would strike better in cooler weather & take roughly 8 weeks to form roots. Sambucus nigra I believe to be the best for medicinal properties.

• Lisa K

@JodieDownUnder thanks! The two I bought are varieties for warm weather, York and Ranch.

Unfortunately, Sambucus nigra does not grow well in my area, so I got the ones that do so that I can at least use them for culinary purposes. I bought some Elderberry Balsamic vinegar that I make a mocktail with and it is delicious.

• Lisa K

While continuing with my research into elderberries, here is what I found out -

"You should plant two different elderberry bush varieties within 60 feet (18 m.) of each other to get maximum fruit production. The bushes begin producing in their second or third year. All elderberries produce fruit; however, the American elderberry varieties are better than the European, which should be planted more for their lovely foliage."

So I will be planting the two varieties in pairs.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K Thanks for posting this. I am following your answers. I had bought some cuttings, rooted them in water---- everything looked great until I planted them! Not sure what happened, but I'm going to try again!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Lisa K I multiply my currants by bending a branch to the soil, covering it a bit with soil and putting a stone on it. The bent branch develops roots and turns into a separate plant. Then I dig out this new plant and move it to where I want it to grow. I have noticed that elderberry branches do the same, if they touch the ground. I do not need to multiply these as they grow like mad in the hedge along out tiny lane. I just forage the flowers and berries.

• Lisa K

@water2world I have recently discovered that they are different varieties for warm weather and cold weather. Since I live along the California coast, I got the warm weather cuttings.

I will post how they are doing.

@jowitt.europe how cool, I am jealous!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

I was gifted some cuttings a couple years back. Unfortunately even in water they never rooted. Then a friend mailed me a couple plants she dug up from hers. They did well until winter, she did not know the variety so I am guessing they were more warm climate plants and did not like our Alaska winter even though I had mulched them well.

Hoping to get a chance to buy some cold weather varieties and get them acclimated to our Alaska climate.

@jowitt.europe That is wonderful to know they can be rooted that way. I had planned to try the idea of Air layering in propagation boxes like these. Unfortunately the plants never got big enough.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@vickeym I have never seen a plant root growing box.

Has anyone succeeded in getting roots this way?

• vickeym

@jowitt.europe I have not tried it yet but was thinking I might. Just have to get a plant to survive that I want to do this with. lol

Lost my blueberry bushes (3 small scraggly ones) when my husband was doing some dirt work and transplanted them from the hill they were on with the bucket of a front end loader. One totally disappeared the other two promptly died. :(

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

We have rooted some cuttings this past winter by cutting them when dormant and putting them in the dark in dirt and keeping them watered. They are sprouting very nicely now but I haven’t had any experience with how they do when planted. I have them in 3” plug trays right now. I will try to remember to post again after they go in the dirt. It’s going to be a really busy spring around here, my son helped me with the pruning over winter and we got a little carried away with starting cuttings from the pear, apple and elderberry trees and bushes. I bet that crazy kid did 2 dozen of each! Ah well, I’m thrilled that he’s suddenly and finally interested in messing around in the dirt with me!

• Margaret
    Margaret Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I have a Nova elderberry. It does not need a second plant for pollination. My plant is about 5 years old and I get several gallons of berries each year, plus some for the birds. I took cuttings, stuck them in a jar of water, and now have more plants sprouting. I am in zone 8b. We have been getting colder in the winter but the elderberry survives just fine. Other varieties might need 2 plants for cross pollination. There are some that have spectacular foliage.

• Lisa K
    edited May 2023

@Margaret that is very cool! I hope to get my cuttings planted in the next couple of days even though we keep going from cold weather to hot - I am in Zone 9-10.

• heirlooms777
    heirlooms777 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I put mine local native elderberry plants in pots and will plant them in the ground later, maybe next year.

I heard using willow twigs soaking in water, use the soaking water to help start roots in other plants like this one. Do you keep the willow twigs in the water while soaking the other branches to start elderberry

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K Thanks, I will keep that in mind and please keep us updated on your progress!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have some Elder cuttings that I put in the refrigerator and really need to get potted up.

• marjstratton

We've planted several of our elder starts that we got from the county extension service native plant sale. My husband went out to check on them this afternoon and told me that the deer or the mice had gotten all of them. I went out later and found them all healthy and putting on new growth! Just hope they continue to do well. Every time I've planted them in the past, they didn't survive.

• Lisa K

@marjstratton mine are also in the refrigerator and my goal is to plant them this morning since they now have buds.

• marjstratton
    edited April 2023

@Lisa K You made me look at mine in the refrigerator and they too are sprouting. Yea!!! Planning on potting them first since they are much smaller than the ones I have already planted out in the field. Give them a good year or two to get sturdy. Then they can be my cross pollinators. I now have three varieties.

• Lisa K

@marjstratton cool! I have decided that I am going to first plant them in 1 or 2 gallon buckets, that way I can keep them close to the house to keep an eye on them.

• marjstratton

Checked on my elderberries that I planted out about a month ago. So far, so good. I'm happy. Our first hot weather is starting this week so I'll have to be more vigilant as to their needs.

• Lisa K

@marjstratton that is so great! I have planted 6 of the 12 cuttings and hope to get the rest of them planted this weekend.

• marjstratton

Hope that your cuttings grow well!

• Lisa K

@marjstratton so far so good and I planted the last 3 today! Thanks!

• Lisa K

Yea I finished planting all of the cuttings on Tuesday! All but 3 Yorks have good growth, the three Yorks are slow to sprout.

• Lisa K

All 12 elderberry cuttings have now been planted into 1 gal. pots. Below are pictures of 2 of the Ranch and 2 of the York elderberry cuttings that were planted first. 

• vickeym

How wonderful they are sprouting well for you @Lisa K . I bought seed. Once it got here and the weather warmed enough for me to even try starting anything, I realized they needed 90 days cold outside before planting or 60 days in the refrigerator in damp soil. So mine are on hold for this year.

• Lisa K

What a bummer @vickeym I also bought seeds but I think they are for cold areas so that is why I got the cuttings. I may try the seeds next year.

• marjstratton

The nice thing about cuttings is that you cut out at least a year or two before you can expect to get any berries.

• Lisa K

Thanks @marjstratton that is great news!

• vickeym

I got the ones for cold as well. I'm in Alaska, so pretty harsh winters. Good luck with yours.