What’s your go recipe for morning tea/entertaining?

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Just lately, I’ve hosted a couple of meetings at my home or been asked to bring a plate to a morning tea. I usually come up with Lumberjack Cake for a sweet option or Vegetable slice for savoury. They always turn out & are very edible. I try to make them gluten free & or vegetarian. (To suit everyone) The recipe below for Zucchini slice, I swap out the bacon & use lots of veg out of the fridge or “Fridge clean out Slice”.

Last week I decided to change tact & went with gf date scones, what a disaster! Sure warmed a little with lashings of butter made them edible but not great & like rocks when cooled.

So what are your go to recipes for baking for visitors, with tea or coffee? I’m looking for inspiration here, healthy recipes, maybe some herbs added etc.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@JodieDownUnder The lumberjack cake looks good.

For something sweet, chocolate is always my go-to, but to make it a healthier option here are some adaptogen/stress support/energy type treats. They might be more appropriate for an afternoon tea rather than morning, though.

Stress support balls. https://learningherbs.com/remedies-recipes/home-remedies-for-stress/

Adaptogen bliss balls. https://theherbalacademy.com/adaptogen-bliss-balls/

These don't have chocolate but that could be added. Herbal infused energy bites. https://theherbalacademy.com/herbal-infused-snacks-on-the-go/

Rosemary's Zoom balls. https://wildflowerherbschool.com/rosemarys-zoom-balls/

I also like sweet breads with fruit added. Lemon loaf with blueberries is a favourite in our house. I like orange with cranberries, too, but the cranberries are a bit sour for some tastes in my family.

I used to make a pie for my daughters for breakfast that they really liked. Basically a sweetened, orange flavoured oatmeal quiche. This is a very similar recipe as I can't find my original. I would have used cream instead of the evaporated milk. You could use a gluten free crust. https://www.cooks.com/recipe/fx7rc4gj/oatmeal-orange-breakfast-pie.html

• JodieDownUnder

@Torey thank you for the recipe links. I’m going to make the Adaptogen Bliss Balls for my herbal workshop next week.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

For snacks in the evenings, my husband and I often make bannock fry bread, served with pesto or hummus on it. He drinks cocoa, while I drink peppermint tea.

When visitors come, I find they usually don't want food, just a drink. So any type of coffee, tea, or similar beverage is appropriate.

If anyone wants a bannock bread recipe, let me know. It is very uncritical and can easily be modified by adding or removing flavorings to get a slightly different bread.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin
    edited April 2023

@JodieDownUnder I like recipes which do not take much time. My sweet balls “Without a guilty conscience” are quite popular among my visitors. They are a bit similar to what @Torey suggests, but they contain no chocolate and no herbs.

Ingredients: 2 cups of ground nuts (walnuts or hazelnuts or a mixture;) 5 soft dates or date pasta (I prefer date paste), two spoons of honey, grated zest of a lemon or an orange, a pinch of salt and 1/2 tea spoon of cinnamon. Grated coconuts or cocoa for rolling.

Preparation: mix all the ingredients together. I use my fingers rather than a mixer, then I have a feeling when the mass is ready to be formed into balls. Then I roll in cocoa or grated coconuts. I keep in the fridge for half an hour so that they harden. It is a biggish plate. Enough for 4-6 persons.

I also make “Energy bombs”. In these I add ginger, galangal, cinnamon, savoury…

• JodieDownUnder

@VermontCathy I would love your bannock bread recipe please & thank you.

• JodieDownUnder

@jowitt.europe I like the sound of your “without a guilty conscience “ sweet balls. I will also give them a go sometime soon.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@ JodieDownUnder I LOVE this post! I am ready to try out a few of these recipes ---- Will be checking back for more ideas!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

These recipes look great. Thank you all for sharing them.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I make a chocolate chip cookie dough hummus

1 can or 1 1/2 C cooked chickpeas, 1/4 C milk (dairy or plant based) if needed to thin, 1/4 C nut butter of choice, 1/4 C or more to taste sweetener of choice, 2 t vanilla, 1/8 t baking soda, 1/8 t salt, 2 - 3 T oats, flax or almond flour if needed to thicken, 1/3 C chocolate chips. Place all except milk, oats, chips in food processor and process til smooth adding milk or oats if needed. Stir in chocolate chips. Serve with dippers of choice

• Sheila
    Sheila Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

This scone recipe that I made recently is tender, flavourful and moist. It is also not super sweet unless you add the glaze. In our household we skip it.

Apple Scone Recipe

This apple scone recipe is an excellent way to use up a scrungy apple that’s been hanging around for a while. Don’t just toss it out, make apples scones with it! I would suggest that you first use any apple that you need to use up to reduce food waste because let’s face it, any apple will ultimately be ok in this apple scone recipe. Then I would do a tart apple if you are using the glaze, and a sweet apple like a MacIntosh if you are having them plain.

Make sure that the butter is cool! For the best results you can shred frozen butter into the scone mixture, it’s a handy trick!

2 cups of flour

1/3 cup of sugar

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup of cold butter or margarine

1 cup of shredded apple

1/2 cup of milk

1 tbsp sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling if desired

1 tbsp 

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

2 tbsp milk

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Combine all of your dry ingredients, and mix them together well. If you like spicier scones, add another 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or better yet, some nutmeg or cloves.

Cut in the 1/4 cup or margarine or butter.

Shred your apple. Add the shredded apple, then the milk and mix until they form a soft dough. Add a bit of flour if the dough is too sticky, it really depends on how moist your shredded apple is.

Knead a few times, working some extra flour into it until it is barely sticky. Divide into two balls of dough.

Flatten until they are two circles that are about 6 inches in diameter. If you like, scour lines on the top to divide them into 6 pieces.

Place them on a well greased baking sheet and sprinkle them with brown sugar and/or cinnamon.

Pop into the over and bake for 15- 20 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove and cool.

When the scones are cooled,, whisk together the glaze ingredients until they are smooth. Drizzle over the scones then let harden completely.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I either make a Jasmine Green Tea or Green Tea Latte. Also I have in the past made a cinnamon bread pudding or cinnamon rolls.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I made the mistake of reading through this thread while hungry lol. All of these sound and/ or look delicious!