May 24th: I've signed up for a Jiu Jitsu competetion - update! I TOOK SILVER can't believe it

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Inspiried by @Ruth Ann Reyes who competes in pool tournaments...

I'm not sure of my sanity at this point but I signed up for a BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) competetion to be held this Sunday. So far it does not look like I have a 'match' or basically someone to roll with. But last minute sign ups are a thing. And just for the record I am NOT 154 lbs. A sensative subject here... But I'm not 141 lbs either, so have to go into the bigger grils arena. LOL.

You may remember I started martial arts when in Colorado and I earned a purple belt in Shotokan. But when I moved to PR there wasn't that style so I started over again as a white belt at the closest gym (not a good way to choose a sport BTW) which happened to train BJJ. BJJ is a totlly different system - like completely different.

Here is the website for the tournament https://smoothcomp.com/en/event/11653

Here is the YouTube channel where I think it will be live streamed. (gulp)

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Haha! Livestreamed, eh?

Well, let us know when once you find out. That can sometimes be difficult, as with some tournaments, times for slated fights can change quickly.

What I always told our kids...fight hard & smart & have fun!

Well be watching if we can be told when you are up.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

How exciting! I will try to watch also.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft Awesome!!! I am excited for you and will try to cheer you on from Tennessee!!

You are an inspiration!

• Marjory Wildcraft

Well I don't see that I have a 'match' yet. Ugh, I'm just 3 lbs above the next lower elvel where there are 3 women. I'm not about to lose 3 lb.s in one day...

I'll do my best to keep you posted.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! You are a brave lady. Will be looking for the broadcast to see if we can watch you.

Good luck, hope you get a match, but not a super tough one.

Do you have plenty of muscle pain salves on hand? LOL I know I would sure need one as well as something for my nerves before the match.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited May 2023

So... Do/did you have anyone to fight?

Are/were you fighting gi 🥋/no gi?

I saw there is mat A, B & C, which seems quite typical for a tournament.

Is any part recorded?

So many questions. 😉 I peeked and would love to watch, but have a very full day... garden to plant, puppy to re-home, etc., etc.

• vickeym

Yes, Please do let us know if there is a video of the fights and if you were able to get a match. I also, was unable to try to watch today.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

It's been many, many years since I took Judo, when my kids were in high school. I'm sure I would break myself if I tried it again. Although, having learned how to fall back then, I think has saved me some broken bones and serious injuries over the years.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

I bet you’ll have a grand ole time! Photos please.

this makes me smile!

• Marjory Wildcraft

OK! Here is the photo. I took silver!

They also gave me a gold medal too - I'm still not sure for what. When I asked "why" there was a flurry of Spanish which I'm still just learning and essentially it was something like "you are in a category by yourself and so you won". I think it had something to do withmy age??? LOL whatever...

My next quest is to find a Gi I look good in. If a man is ripped he has half a chance of looking good in a Gi. Women? no way. It is a good thing I'm not that much into fashion.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Wow! Congratulations @Marjory Wildcraft! What an achievement!

• LaurieLovesLearning

Good for you!🥋🥇🥈👊

We always joked about tournaments as being a pajama party. 😆 You are in the height of fashion while there.

A gold because you were the only one in a category? It has been known to happen at some tournaments. Soon you'll have a whole bucket full of medals. We have quite the collection in the house, with so many of us having fought.

Put the date (month & year) & name of tournament (if it isn’t already punched into the medal) on a tag and attach it to the medal or use a permanent marker and mark the back for memory's sake.

FYI, I think "ripped" woman can look just as awesome/fearsome as a "ripped" man in a gi. You should have seen our oldest daughter. And of course, my husband looked great. 😍

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on both medals! Looks like fun too!

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations @Marjory Wildcraft I knew you would do amazing!

• Georgene sharon jones
    Georgene sharon jones Posts: 1 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Congratulations!! Showing us older ladies how to do it and being inspirational.

So since Elon can't fight Zuckbucks maybe you could show Elon how it's done. 🤣

Just joking tho hubs and I did get a kick at the visual. You of course winning.

Thank you @Marjory Wildcraft, sincerely, for all you do and have done. Since your first Coast2Coast interview I have loved your spirit and message. Thanks for putting together such a great team at TGN and bringing great info to millions for free no less❤

Blessings🙏

g Sharon Jones🌷

• Marjory Wildcraft

Oh thanks for that tip regarding marking it. They do give out medals to almost everyone... LOL.

I just signed up for another one is September.

And! I think I've found a gi I really like. Much more relaxed than the stiff ones I've been using.

Thanks Laurie

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Marjory Wildcraft Even the judo gis have gotten less stiff & weighty. It will be much easier to move for sure.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you do next time.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Hey Sharon, oh yeah whatever happend to that Zuck vs Elon match? That would have been hiliarous to watch.

And since we are on the optic of fitness of wealthy public figures... Stephanie Syson of Biodynamic Botanicals sent me this image comparing Bill Gates with Robert Kennedy. I had no idea Robert was so fit!

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Marjory. That's really something.

• vickeym

Congratulations, Marjory! Great job.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

WOW! @Marjory Wildcraft Way to go! Very cool accomplishment!

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited September 2023

Marjory is such an inspiration! When I train in any type of MMA I go home defeated and covered in bruises!

She's right, tho...I compete in pool tournaments as well as play a few nights a week in the local APA Pool League.

This past weekend, we got the wildcard for the Summer session playoffs. We played both 8-ball and 9-ball in the championship match and took home the W for both! Whooo-Hooo!

We are headed to the World Qualifiers this winter!

Fingers crossed... Next stop, Vegas! The largest pool tournament in the World!!!