Does anyone know what this plant is?

kbmbillups1
kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't post it in the mystery plant thread because I have no idea what it is. It was growing in one of my garden beds this winter. Over the past month it has become a small tree. I don't remember planting it. A friend tried to use his plant ID app to see what it was but nothing conclusive. It was growing where I planted ginger and turmeric but it's neither of them.

I took it out of my bed and planted it in a big pot for now.

Hopefully someone knows what it is!

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

A Prunus species of some kind was the first thing to come to mind. Although, I've never seen a cherry or a plum with such long, narrow leaves.

I'm going to suggest a peach even though its been a very long time since I have seen a peach tree. I can't remember if the leaves were like this. I'm pretty sure peaches grow easily from seed.

Check out the leaves in this picture.

• kbmbillups1

The leaves do look the same. Thanks! Maybe someone threw out a pit and a squirrel buried it. Would be amazing!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Neat find😇

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

A peach seed needs to be planted very fresh (glad to hear they're easy to grow!). Did one just get chucked there and took off? It sure looks like what @Torey posted!

I've never tried growing a peach...I always intended to, but always got busy doing other things and so a pit has never had the privilege to hit a pot in the house yet. It usually finds its way into the garbage instead when it gets too old. Sigh.

This year...oh, but wait. I don't have any. more. room. 😑 and I'm already growing too many trees inside of our little house already, and I dont think I'm done! 😬 I think I need urgent intervention. At least I share. And many are medicinal. That's got to make it okay... right? But, maybe that's just me in denial & just reasoning it all away, avoiding the issue at hand. I actually think it's now surpassed my chicken obsession, because now I'm just in replacement mode with those, not really collecting (at the moment anyway).

@Cornelius...remember the seed/plant addiction thread? Have you read what I'm experimenting with now? I just need to live permanently in a greenhouse already. I never have enough windows or shelves or pots. 🤷‍♀️

• kbmbillups1

@LaurieLovesLearning Apparently that's what happened. Someone in my family either dropped the peach pit in my garden bed or a squirrel buried it. Crazy!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

It could also be a cherry tree (possibly a native one depending where you are). I agree with @Torey about the prunus genus.

@LaurieLovesLearning I just checked it out. I have thought about moving into a greenhouse, but then where would I sleep? lol

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I have thought about moving into a greenhouse, but then where would I sleep?

@Cornelius You have to ask? In the middle of your beautiful indoor jungle, of course!

You could have a hammock or tent or whatever suits your fancy. 😄

There is a house plan that I kind of like in one of my books, but I l'm not fully sold on it. It is still very intriguing. It could give you a green space & a place to sleep. 😄 It has an enclosed atrium in the middle and the human portion of the house is built all round.

Here are two. I think I'm partial to the first.

I'm not a fan of a galley kitchen.

The other problem with these plans is that it would be a lot more expensive to build these than a greenhouse.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

I like the built-in roof panels. What an idea!