The Simplest Acts

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes the simplest acts can be great! There is one cashier that always gives me flowers when I go into Trader Joes.

And at Sprouts there are two Sushi Chefs that are so wonderful, I mentioned to them that I usually go in on Wednesday and Sundays and that I love the new Dragon bowl they offer. On Sunday I found one of the bowls tucked away and not with the others, one of the Chefs made sure I saw it and today I saw three bowls and grabbed one that was similar but not my usual and the other Chef got the one he had tucked away for me.

All three of them have a way to make a so-so day into a great day. 😀

Comments

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K Aw, some folks really do take a extra effort to cheer up others! That was fantastic!

• Lisa K

@SuperC agreed, when I left Sprouts today I had a smile on my face and every time I look at the flowers I smile!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the small things! We had a birthday party for a lady who turned 90 in my bible study today with cake and we all brought her cards. The lady who put it together asked us to write what we appreciated about her in the cards because she's feeling useless since she can't do the things she used to do. She was surprised with the party and all the cards. She took them home so we don't know her reaction yet. I hope they cheered her up!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

These all sound so wonderful. I deliver food from our local food bank to seniors who have a hard time getting around, veterans, and disabled in our area. Sometimes I am the only person they will see for weeks. One fella is almost totally blind. He was a customer at my previous job in the grocery store and I walked around with him many times to help him find things in the store.

When we donate eggs to the food bank, I try to make sure my seniors get them first. He has been so excited to have farm fresh eggs and always asks about my chickens and "how the girls" are doing this week.

Another client made us homemade apple butter after hearing my husband and I both enjoy it.

They are all so happy when we stop by to see them and bring them food. It is a very rewarding job.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really is the little things that can be such game changers! I love these stories of people finding small ways to love people! It is a great reminder to find ways to be that kind of person in my day to day activities.

• Lisa K

@kbmbillups1 and @vickeym what sweet things to do for others!

@Michelle D I so agree that little things can mean a lot to people. I try to do a simple act of kindness every day. I once read it can be to just smile and say good morning to a stranger, I try to check in with friends every day just to see how they are doing and feeling.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Lisa K lovely post. Kindness takes so little effort & can make a huge difference to the receiver & the giver.

• Lisa K

@JodieDownUnder I so agree! 😃

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful discussion to read. So positive!

• Lisa K

I know that their acts of kindness have helped me during hard times, especially Rizi from Trader Joes. She besides giving me flowers, she would always check on my dad was doing when he was sick and checked on me to make sure I was OK during the time he was sick and especially after he passed.

• Michelle D

@Lisa K I'm so glad that you have had people to show you such kindness.

My father passed away years ago. A couple of the ladies that attend our church asked my mom at the time if there was anything they could do for her. She said that she just needed hugs. Those ladies still hug her every time they see her all these years later! It means so much to her even now.

• Lisa K

@Michelle D that is such a sweet story. It is amazing what hugs can do, at the hospital a lot of the nurses gave me hugs and even one of the Security Guards that I saw most days gave me a hug when I thank him for letting me in before Visting Hours during my dad's final days. I still remember how comforting all of the hugs were.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I agree☺

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I go to Trader Joe's I always ask for my ten apples to be into different bags (to distribute the weight). I also ask them (usually) to make the bags around 10 pounds. The last time I went I asked the former and not the latter and the cashier made my bags around 3 pounds. It was such a relief not to carry heavy bags.

• Lisa K

Trader Joe's seems to higher the nicest and most helpful people!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

So nice to hear about people being helpful and positive.

• Lisa K
    edited May 2023

Oops, I meant to type "hire" instead of "higher".

I should also give a shout out to all of the people I dealt with after my dad passed, I even had a great experience with the Customer Service rep from AT&T when canceling my dad's phone, she was not the correct department but when she could not get anyone from the right department, she still took care of it herself!

All of them helped make a bad situation much easier.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Mara is a young women who runs a tiny coffee / breakfast shop out of a food truck on the side of the road. A portable carport for shade, some cut logs for seats and tables, a few potted plants and some home made artwork make it fun. She signs every coffee cup (which are paper, not styrofoam, thank you!) with a custom note. It is always inspiring and uplifting. She told me she watches people while they order and the idea for the notes come to her.

I support her by having breakfast meetings there. I love how much she is doing with a tiny coffee shop on the side of the road.

• Lisa K

What a great way to start the day!

• Michelle D

I love this discussion. It is so uplifting to read the stories of people caring for each other. I make it a point to take opportunities to be that kind of person for the people I see in my day to day life. This discussion has got me thinking, what kinds of things can we as a community do to be that for each other? Any thoughts?

• Lisa K

Good question @Michelle D, I know my neighbor and I keep an eye on each others house when one of us is away for any length of time. We also share produce when something is in abundance. I my yoga class, when some of us get there early we set up for others who are not there yet and we share different ideas like gardening or cooking. Is this the type of things?

• Michelle D

@Lisa K I more so meant our community here on TGN. What small things can we do to lift each other up over the internet.

• Lisa K

@Michelle D oops. I think we do that to a certain extent, when we answer questions, offer our guidance, support others with information or prays, even by bringing humor to some of our posts.

But that is a good question and I am interested what others may think.

• Lisa K

On Sunday I did my usual trip to Trader Joe's and my friend was not there so I checked out with someone I have not seen before and he asked me what I was doing the rest of the day and I told him about a butterfly release I was attending in honor of my dad, he immediately said go get some flowers, kind of insisted so I picked out some of my dad's favorite flowers.

Then at the Butterfly Release which was sponsored by the Hospice my dad was supposed to go to but instead they kept an eye on him at the hospital, I ran into my next-door neighbor who recently lost her husband and her daughter. He was at a different Hospice but found out that the Butterfly Release was open to anyone and that their Grief counseling is open to anyone who needs it. That to me made it even more special that we could all come together to honor our lost ones.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small things do matter. Always appreciate the people who do the tasks that help the rest of us, especially those who often receive little thanks or notice.

• SuperC

Share smiles with each person we encounter.

Dance to the music in the car, and as others see you dance, perhaps it will brighten their day.

next time hugging someone, hold them a little while longer with that embrace.

• Lisa K

@SuperC love these!

Today I thanked on of the Sushi Chefs for always have a Dragon Bowl ready for me on Sunday and Wednesday, she got the biggest smile on her face and she said her husband told to her to make sure there is at least one. I thought that was so sweet!

• Michelle D

@SuperC I dance to the music in my car. People usually just look at me like I'm stupid. Oh well, some people don't like to have fun.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a deal on eggs at Kroger this weekend. My in laws don't have the app or know how to login to their account I made them online even though I've showed them many times. So, I got the eggs for them, and we brought them to them today when we went to visit for Father's Day. My mother-in-law was so excited!!

• SuperC

At a grocery store I said to a person wearing an Italian shirt, “Do you eat a lot of Italian food?”

She said,” I’ll be going to Italy in three months. 1st Roma then Sicily then Florence.”

i said, “Have a great time!” And she walked on with the biggest smile of enjoyment!

Being at the store today really seemed that everyone was happy!